The Bath Open is the club’s main event of the year. Once again the entry is full with 32 teams competing. We are looking forward to a great day of boules with keen competition. There will be cash prizes this year and a cup presentation to the best placed CoBPC Team.
For those who are not competing please do come along and support us, the full programme for the weekend is provided below for information. This is a good opportunity to see some of the best players from the area in action and to watch their game-craft!
Information for teams
This is the first year that the Bath Open is being held at Larkhall Sports Club (LSC) and for those of you have not previously played at the club parking facilities are available at no cost, toilets are available on site and the bar remains open from your time of arrival.
How to get to LSC
LSC is located at the North of Larkhall and the best postcode for your satnav is BA1 8DJ. Separate maps are attached or an interactive map can be found by clicking here.
An introductory session will be held on Friday evening to allow visiting players the opportunity to practice on the terrains followed by some drinks and nibbles before the draw is made for the initial matches on Sunday Morning.
6.00 p.m. Pistes available for practice
7.00 p.m. Drinks and Nibbles and opportunity to get to meet some of your fellow competitor’s
7.45 Draw for Sunday morning matches
The draw will be made from 4 different baskets as follows
- 8 seeded teams based on previous results as well as the organisers knowledge of the team’s strengths
- 8 teams from City of Bath to ensure that the teams are evenly spread across the draw
- 8 of the remaining 16 teams selected at random prior to the draw
- Same as above
Any visitors will be welcome to join the club sessions in the morning which start at 10.00 a.m.
Registration will be from 8.45 – 9.15 with a 9.30 a.m. start.
Teams will play in round robins of 4 teams. Each group will be allocated 2 pistes on which they will play their matches. The winner of the group will be entered into the main competition, the runners up in the plate, the 3rd Team in Consolage A and the 4th Team in Consolage B. If two teams have identical results the will be a sudden death play-off over 3 ends.
There will be eight groups of 4.
Games will not be timed but will be played to 11 points.
Lunch will commence at 12.30. Each team will be provided with vouchers based on the choices at the start of the day.
Play will recommence at 2.00 pm and the teams will be allocated to their positions numerically e.g. 1 v’s 2 , 3 v’s 4 etc. The first round of knock outs will not be timed but will be played to 11 points.
The format for the knockouts will be based on the diamond format. A team losing their first game will automatically be entered into the “plate” of their section. For example, the losers of game 1 v’2 will play the losers of game 3 v’s 4.
All games after the first afternoon knockout matches will be played to 13 points and will not be timed.
All teams will play a minimum of 5 games during the day with the maximum number being 6.
It is estimated that the finals will be complete by 6.00 p.m. at which time the main prizes will be given to the teams.
The organisers also reserve the right to end a game if the play is too slow and will impact the day’s proceedings allowing one final end.
EPA rules will apply throughout the day and the following items are drawn to the players’ attention
- All strings are dead. A boule or jack is only dead when it has completely crossed the strings
- Jacks must be thrown at least a metre from the strings
- Plastic circles will be supplied and must be used
- Teams of 4 will be allowed to substitute once during each game but they must seek the Umpires permission.
- Coffee & Tea will be available throughout the day (£1 per cup) and cake will be available during the afternoon.
- Smoking and the use of e-cigarettes are not permitted whilst in the Petanque playing area. Please use the patio next to the club house
- Raffle Tickets will be sold through the morning until 1.45 p.m. when the draw will take place. Tickets will be attached to each of the prizes which will be in front of the bar in the club house.